Thanks to your extraordinary support, a dedicated hospital for endangered Hawaiian monk seals is rapidly nearing completion! You helped us raise more than $1.7 million, which will allow us to build pens and pools in which we can treat Hawaiian monk seal patients!
Having reached this milestone, we continue our campaign to raise the remaining $1.5 million to complete the entire project and make the dream of this first-of-its-kind hospital a reality. The completed facility will include a laboratory, food preparation area, and staff and volunteer support areas, in addition to an open-air visitor and education center. We look forward to working with our Hawaiian partners to make a difference for this iconic species.
This slideshow will take you through the plans for the new Hawaiian Monk Seal Hospital in Kailua-Kona.
- Two pens with pools for juvenile and adult seals and two pens with pools for neonates
- Quarantine areas
- Fish kitchen, medical lab and staff quarters buildings
- Photovoltaic panels
- Sustainable building materials
- Seawater air conditioning for the buildings
- Extensive seawater filtration infrastructure for pools