We have several volunteer opportunities in our Retail, Administration, Facilities and Development Departments. All of these positions are at our main hospital in the Marin Headlands. You can support the Center behind the scenes and contribute to its success!
Gift Store Volunteer
The Gift Store at The Marine Mammal Center is a final highlight for many visitors to the Center, providing them with the opportunity to support our work via purchases of merchandise, Adopt-a-Seal, and donations, as well as an opportunity to get answers to any final questions about our work. The gift store plays a major role in the Center’s annual fundraising; all proceeds benefit the Center and is operated internally.
As a gift store volunteer, you will:
- Provide excellent customer service
- Inspire visitors to support The Marine Mammal Center and become ocean stewards through programs such as Adopt-a-Seal, donations, and volunteering
- Assist visitors with purchasing decisions, including finding sizes and providing information relating to the items
- Maintain the visual appearance of the store i.e. creating displays, folding, restocking, and cleaning
- Assist with receiving of new merchandise
- Operate a computer cash register (if desired, not required)
- Answer questions about the Center and the work we do
Administrative Support Volunteer
Volunteer in a comfortable, friendly environment; enhance your office skills; boost your resume; and feel good knowing that you’re supporting a good cause.
You will assist the Administrative offices with a variety of administrative, database, and communication tasks. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Collating and mailing acknowledgement letters
- Photocopying documents and filing of paperwork
- Data entry and data clean-up
- Entering class RSVP lists into the Raiser’s Edge database
- RSVP reconciliation and follow-up
- Collecting and mailing brochure requests
- Making follow-up and thank you calls to donors
- Enter mailing and solicitation actions in Raiser’s Edge database
- Create mailing labels and help with large and small mailing projects
- Help organize, gather and store Advancement storage items before events, fairs, etc
Facilities and Life Support Systems Volunteer
Help facility staff with daily operations and learn valuable trade skills.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting our Life Support Systems and Facilities staff with regular maintenance and repair duties
- Maintaining TMMC grounds, structures and life support equipment
- Supporting other TMMC department’s daily operations
- Previous experience working building maintenance, construction, wastewater treatment or another relevant trade
- The ability to do physical work and be comfortable working in a shop environment around heavy machinery