Gift Store Volunteer
The Gift Store at The Marine Mammal Center is a final highlight for many visitors to the Center, providing them with the opportunity to support our work via purchases of merchandise, Adopt-a-Seal, and donations, as well as an opportunity to get answers to any final questions about our work. The gift store plays a major role in the Center’s annual fundraising; all proceeds benefit the Center and is operated internally.
- Provide excellent customer service
- Inspire visitors to support The Marine Mammal Center and become ocean stewards through programs such as Adopt-a-Seal, donations, and volunteering
- Assist visitors with purchasing decisions, including finding sizes and providing information relating to the items
- Maintain the visual appearance of the store i.e. creating displays, folding, restocking, and cleaning
- Assist with receiving of new merchandise
- Operate a computer cash register (if desired, not required)
- Answer questions about the Center and our work
- Customer service / retail background is great but not required.
- Interest and willingness to learn about marine mammals and TMMC, and interact with visitors
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time as well as frequent bending, reaching, and climbing ladders
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent communication skills
- Must have access to transportation to and from The Marine Mammal Center
- Attend an Open House
- Complete the prospective volunteer screening process
- Attend an New Volunteer Orientation
- Attending the Basic Education Workshop Class is highly encouraged
- Commit to one 4 hour shift, once a week Monday through Sunday either from 9:30am to 1:30am or 1:15pm to 5:15pm
Become a Volunteer!
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to attend a new volunteer Introduction Meeting.