Do you love the ocean? Are you curious about marine mammals? Do you enjoy talking with people of all ages? If so, become an Education Volunteer!
Education Volunteers play a vital role in promoting public awareness of marine wildlife and the Center’s work. They inspire visitors to better appreciate the ocean and help protect the animals that live in it. This is a unique opportunity to help marine mammals in need and to foster a caring attitude in others. Education Volunteers interact with guests at our main hospital and education facility in the Marin Headlands in Sausalito, California.
Attend an Open House.* Click here to find out when the next one is offered.
- Complete the prospective volunteer screening process
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation
- Education Volunteers must attend a 2-day training series to learn about marine mammal conservation and ocean issues with a focus on the animals we rehabilitate
- Work at least 8 hours a month (one 4-hour shift every other week) for at least 6 months after training
- Volunteer assignments include indoor and outdoor shifts in varying weather
- Registration for the training classes is required; there is a $50 fee for the Education training, which can be reduced or waived if it’s a hardship
To inquire about more details, please email email@example.com
Typically education volunteer trainings are held 4 times a year (one each season)
More Information about Training Sessions:
This is a comprehensive training designed to ensure that volunteers learn information about marine mammals, The Marine Mammal Center, and ocean health, but also techinuqes of best ways to engage visitors. Classes are held at our main facility in the Marin Headlands (in Sausalito, California) and run from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. Topics include natural history information of marine mammals; the fundamentals of our rehabilitation, research and education facility; problems facing our oceans; and strategies to communicate effectively with visitors. Applicants should enjoy learning about marine life and sharing their knowledge with others. Please help us advertise: tell your friends, family and co-workers about these upcoming trainings for new Education Volunteers. Contact The Marine Mammal Center's Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 289-7356 to register for the Education Volunteer Training.
Become a Volunteer!
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to attend an Open House.