Marine Mammal Rescue and Response Internship
San Luis Obispo Operations
The Rescue and Response team at The Marine Mammal Center is seeking applicants for their San Luis Obispo Operations Rescue and Response Internship working primarily with stranded pinnipeds, as well as occasional cetaceans and sea otters.The Rescue and Response Internship is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are interested in increasing their experience and knowledge of marine mammals and the Marine Mammal Stranding Network.
- Gain valuable professional development experience while learning the rescue and response operations for one of the leading marine mammal hospitals
- Work in an organization dedicated to veterinary medicine, research, and ocean conservation
- Learn marine mammal rescue and triage while gaining husbandry experience working with the seal and sea lion patients
- Attend training classes, learning more about rescue and response methods as well as the rehabilitation care for pinnipeds
- Develop interpersonal and team leadership skills working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Answer and triage the animal rescue hotline
- Coordinate rescue and triage responses throughout San Luis Obispo counties
- Participate in marine mammal rescues, releases and other field responses
- Maintain rescue equipment
- Join teams of volunteers to provide triage care for rescued seals and sea lions
- Support data entry and tracking of the pinniped patients
- Other projects as assigned
- All applicants must be 21 years of age or older, with an avid interest in marine biology, zoology, general biology, policy or a related field.
- Interns are required to pass a background check and a motor vehicle check prior to acceptance into the internship.
- Applicants should demonstrate excellent communication skills and have practical computer knowledge with programs such as Word, Access, and Excel.
- This internship position involves a fair amount of physical activity, such as lifting, restraining and moving animals.
- If the intern intends to receive university credit for their internship, they are responsible for making all arrangements with their educational institution.
Interns must be able to work for a minimum of 4 months, 5 days a week, at least 40 hours per week. Work schedule must be flexible and may include weekends and holidays.
This is an unpaid internship. Applicants are responsible for their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship. Unfortunately, we are unable to host international applicants at this time.
Applications are now closed.