LIVE is a suite of virtual programs created by The Marine Mammal Center to connect your class or group with a marine science educator at our hospital and education facility in California. Join us on a Digital Dive into the work of marine mammal health and ocean conservation!
Reservations for LIVE will launch in the 2020-2021 school year.
Join our listserv to be notified when registration is available.
Note: The Marine Mammal Center is a wildlife rehabilitation hospital; therefore we will not be handling or interacting with live animals during the program. We use still images, video and specimens to represent our work and the animals we care for at our hospital.
LIVE Virtual Program Details:
Scheduling: LIVE programs are offered Wednesday through Friday from 8am to 4pm Pacific Standard Time.
- LIVE programs can run up to 60 minutes depending on your class schedule
- Up to 3 classes can participate in the same LIVE program.
- Up to 35 students per class
Cost: In our pilot academic year (2018-2019), LIVE will be offered at no cost to participating schools and organizations.
What you'll need:
- Computer or laptop with operating system compatible with Zoom software (free to download)
- Broadband internet connection (recommend wired connection versus Wi-Fi)
- Web camera and microphone
- Projector connected to computer
- A test call with our educator is recommended at least one week prior to a scheduled LIVE program to ensure a quality experience the day of the program.
What Teachers are Saying about LIVE
"This was an invaluable experience for my students. The educator was not only knowledgeable, but he was very personable. He was able to build a relationship with the students that increased their interest in the subject matter."
"This program was great, especially as an end-of-testing treat. The educator was great with the kids and included several engagement strategies. I especially appreciated that he tapped into their prior knowledge of oceans."
"The educator was a great speaker. Connected very positively with the students and engaged them very effectively. He used great resources, included thoughtful questions for students to "pair-share," and had a good pace in his teaching. We spent an hour (but it went by quickly!). Many thanks."
"I thought it was great to have an expert be able to teach the students. The visuals and the resources (otter and sea lion fur) were very helpful for the students to be able to observe."
Have questions? We’d love to help! Please email email@example.com or call (415) 289-7330.