The Marine Mammal Center is undergoing improvements and will be temporarily closed to the public starting November 18 and reopening on February 10. During this time, our work rescuing and rehabilitating marine mammals will continue, and the animals in our hospital will continue to receive the highest quality care.
Learn more >>
Video by: Expression College
Book a Tour at The World’s Largest Marine Mammal Hospital
The Marine Mammal Center is nestled in the Marin Headlands in the beautiful Golden Gate National Recreation Area, just minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge. We offer educational programs and tours; plus, you are welcome to explore on your own – view exhibits and our animal patients. Admission is FREE but tours are highly recommended (the small fee helps save our seals and sea lions!)
|Individual and families:||Groups (10+ people) & Field Trips:|
The Center is temporarily closed to the public, reopening February 10. Booking for Guided Tours will resume in 2020.
For questions, please call (415)-289-7330 (Mon-Fri) or 415-289-7376 (Saturday-Sunday)
- Admission is FREE!
- Starting February 10, 2020, the Center will be open 10am – 4pm daily.
- Directions, Public Transport Info and map to The Marine Mammal Center.
- Sorry - No Dogs Allowed. For the health and safety of both Center patients and domestic animals, all pets (except fully immunized service dogs) are prohibited in the Center’s buildings and public areas.
- The Marine Mammal center is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that relies on donations from caring people like you!
What animals will you see?
- February to May: Pupping season! You’ll see northern elephant seals and California sea lions. Harbor seal pups are not on view, except during behind-the-scenes tours, because they are very fragile and sensitive to human disturbances.
- June to October: Sea lion season with some of the last northern elephant seals and harbor seal pups from the spring getting ready to return to the wild.
- November to January: It's our quieter season on the animal front, but the weather is glorious, so join us for a tour and get some early holiday shopping in our great eco-minded gift store (all proceeds benefit the patients).
- Check out our Patients page to see which animals are at our hospital right now!
- Sign up for email to receive patient stories and information about upcoming events and opportunities to help save marine mammals.
Got questions? Need some planning advice? We are here to help. Just call (415) 289-7330 (Mon-Fri) 415-289-7376 (Saturday-Sunday). You can also see Frequently Asked Questions for more information.