photo by Julie Steelman © The Marine Mammal Center / NOAA permit #18786
Volunteering with The Marine Mammal Center in Hawai`i
Volunteers at The Marine Mammal Center on Hawai`i Island respond to and monitor Hawaiian monk seals on the island's beaches, provide animal husbandry to the patients on-site at our hospital, Ke Kai Ola, and educate the next generation of ocean stewards at community events and schools. Click on the following links below to learn more about the responsibilities and expectations of each volunteer role.
*For all volunteer opportunities in Hawai`i, participants must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school.
How to become a volunteer!
Volunteer Application Process
- Add your name to the volunteer interest list, below.
- Once there is a need for volunteers, we will email everyone who is on the interest list an application. Please note there may be a waiting period of several months before we email you the application.
- Complete the volunteer application.
- Upon acceptance of your volunteer application, you will be contacted within a month to schedule an interview.
- After passing your interview, you will be asked to complete a background check and motor vehicle check.
- Contingent upon clearance of the background check, you will be invited to attend a new volunteer training* covering an overview of our organization, our organization's policies and procedures, and the expectations of volunteering with the Center.
*Please note that this training only occurs a few times per year, so there may be a waiting period of a few months before you may begin as a volunteer.
Please know that the application process is competive and not every applicant will be accepted.
Please note that we are currently not recruiting any volunteers and there may be a waiting period of several months before we email you the application.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.