The Rescue & Response volunteer fills a vital role in continuing our mission of global ocean conservation. This volunteer is responsible for assessing stranded animals, rescuing them if deemed necessary by veterinary staff, and transporting animals to our main hospital in Sausalito. The person in this role will need to be alert, physically ready, and comfortable engaging the public. Rescue volunteers are on-call in their county and are notified if a marine mammal strands in the county. This position reports to the Northern Range Operations Manager and Rescue Dispatch. This volunteer will benefit from the experience of working directly with the animals and educating the public with a flexible schedule.
Volunteers in this role are called upon when there is a marine mammal is reported in Sonoma and Mendocino counties.
Volunteer duties in this role include:
- Assessing reported marine mammals
- Rescuing injured or sick marine mammals
- Educating the public about marine mammals and our work
- Transporting patients to the main hospital in Sausalito
- Maintaing equipment and vehicles
- Providing public outreach and education during rescues and responses
- Complete the New Volunteer screening process (volunteer application, background check and motor vehicle check)
- Attend the all day New Volunteer On-Boarding Workshop
- Complete ICS 100 (external training offered through FEMA)
- Attend the annual refresher training each year and any additional supplemental training
- Commit to responding to reported marine mammals in your county
- Rescue volunteers are required to drive so must be at least 21 years old, have a valid drivers license and clear a Motor Vehicle Report
Prospective volunteers should be aware that rescues are seasonal, and there may be long periods of inactivity.
Become a volunteer
We onboard new volunteers in Mendocino and Sonoma Counties only one or two times per year. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer in the Northern California rescue range, add your name and email address on the interest list. We will notify everyone on the interest list with the application once we have the next New Volunteer Training scheduled. Please note, there may be several months before the next training and before you receive an email. For Jenner/ Bodega Bay and south – see Volunteering in Sausalito and San Francisco Bay Area.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.