California sea lion Seadog was spotted not looking like a healthy young sea lion should. He was brought to our hospital where our expert veterinarians determined that he was showing signs of domoic acid toxicity.
Domoic acid, a potentially deadly neurotoxin, accumulates in small fish like sardines and anchovies. So the hearty meals that should have nourished Seadog instead made him deathly ill.
This toxin can also impact humans, but caring for patients like Seadog helps protect human health. That’s because it allows our scientists to alert officials who can then regulate the seafood that ends up on our plates.
Luckily Seadog came into our care before too much harm was done. You see, if left untreated, domoic acid can cause permanent brain damage or even death. After about a month of care, Seadog was granted a clean bill of health and released back to his ocean home with a second chance.
- Age at Admit
- Weight at Admit
- 39.50 kgs
- Rescue Location
- 17 Mile Drive (China Rock Vista Point) - Pebble Beach, Monterey
- Pneumonia, Domoic acid toxicosis
- Release Date
- Release Location
- Chimney Rock
Yes, I want to save a life!
You’ll be giving sick and injured animals the best possible care at the Center’s state-of-the-art hospital. With your gift today, you are giving a patient a second chance at life in the wild.